Friday, October 25, 2013

At some point, you're going to have a wreck

I posted yesterday about my trip to Texas and getting to see some great folks and a great football game. What I did not include in that post was what happened as I was preparing to leave.

Here are the basics of the trip: Thursday I flew into Austin. Then drove over to College Station to see the football game. Saturday night and Sunday morning, I made my way to Victoria to preach at the College Church of Christ. Monday, I drove up to Austin where I flew out Tuesday morning.

While I was on the way to Austin Monday an accident happened. I was headed up Highway 183 through Luling when a man in a pickup truck pulled out in front of me. I was driving about 55 miles per hour at the time and he entered the highway from my left on what was essentially a two lane highway. Construction has the two outside lanes blocked off. It appeared he was going to stay in the middle of the road until I was able to pass. However, as I got closer to his truck, he came over into my lane. I slammed on the brakes and tried to avoid him, but there just wasn't enough space between us. 
Map shows Luling, TX between Austin and Victoria

When I picked up the white Hyundai Elantra on Thursday there were only about 600 miles on the car. It was virtually brand new. Now, it has damage to the front passenger side and the front door on that side makes a popping noise when you try to open it.
Scene of the accident

The wreck wasn't my fault, but it sure wasn't the way I had planned to spend my final day in Texas. After waiting for the officer and swapping information, I had spent about 45 minutes on the side of the road. The guy that pulled out in front of me did not speak English, but he did have insurance. I had to immediately drive to the airport (about 40 miles away) to file an incident report with the rental company. I spent about an hour there before they swapped out my car and I was on my way. 

What happens next? I really don't know. I do know I wish I would have paid for that extra insurance. I think my insurance will cover any expenses the rental company tries to throw my way. But, in reality, there really shouldn't be any. However, if I would have just paid of few more bucks there would be nothing to worry about.

What's the lesson in all of this? At some point, you are going to have a wreck. 

Our lives are going to end up in a wreck if we don't do something about it. The difference is it will be our fault (Romans 3:23). And, there is only one way to avoid the penalty (Romans 6:23).

It's simple! 
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (John 14:6)
The race is all about Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment