Tuesday, October 1, 2013

"Goodbyes" tend to put things in perspective...

As I begin a new chapter in my life, I am ending another. That's the way it goes, right? And, the end naturally leads to "goodbyes".

At the beginning of the month, I started working with the Monrovia Church of Christ in Madison as the Youth Minister. Since I graduated from Auburn, I have been working in ministry part-time. However, recently, I have been feeling the tug to make a full-time commitment to kingdom work. This past summer everything fell into place with my life and the congregation at Monrovia. So, here I am.

Before full-time ministry work, was full-time TV work. I got my start in television in Victoria, Tex. back in 2007. After just over three years in the Lone Star state, I was offered a job back home, at FOX54 in Huntsville, Ala.

Last night, two of my nephews joined Ari and me for the last segment during my final broadcast with FOX54.


There, I said goodbye to the people in the Tennessee Valley. After the show, there was a series of "goodbyes"to my co-workers.

As I made my rounds, I realized how much "goodbye" puts things in perspective.  In my own life, leaving TV is a big deal. It's the only thing I've known in my professional life. "Goodbye" represents a major life change. So, cue the streamers, cake, and balloons! 

But, it doesn't always work out that way. You see, to everyone else, it's just another day at work. It's really not that big of a deal. It means somebody else will be producing the Nine O'clock News. It means there will be somebody else sitting behind the desk during the newscast, making jokes with Ari and Mark. But, life goes on. 

During those final "goodbyes", I learned that some people actually do care more than I thought. And at the same time, others do not care as much as I gave them credit for.

Ultimately, the perspective I gained is that it's not about me. We can try to make life about out-gaining the people around us. We can place our wants and desires above those of others. We can even become a pretty big deal in this world we temporarily live in. But, what does it matter?
James 4:14-15 ...What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. 15 Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.”
As we run the race, looking to Jesus (Heb. 12:1-2), "goodbyes" can offer the perspective we often need to keep our eyes focused on Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment