Thursday, October 3, 2013

Running the Race - What is it all about?



"My only aim is to finish the race." Those are the words of Paul as he was speaking to the Ephesian elders in Acts 20. In verse 24 he says, "However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace."

This is not the only time Paul refers to this life as a race. In his first letter to the Corinthians he says, "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize." 

And in 2 Timothy 4:7, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."

It's no accident that this metaphor is used frequently in the New Testament. It actually makes a lot of sense.

Do you remember the last time you watched the olympics and saw an American drape the flag around them as they stood victorious on the medal stand while the National Anthem rang out. Did you feel a sense of pride? At the very least I am sure it was fun to watch. 


We share in those moments with the athletes as they take the spotlight every four years. But, we very rarely consider the price these men and women pay to have a gold medal draped around their necks.

Olympic athletes spend years honing their craft - years of rigorous training and discipline.

The parallel to our Christian lives is undeniable. Without the right training and discipline, we are sure to fail.

That is what "Running the Race" is all about. This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and support as we run together toward the prize, fixing our eyes on Jesus (Hebrews 12:1-2). My goal is to post personal stories, inspirational quotes, and scripture that help me in the race. My hope is that it helps you along the way as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment