Monday, December 9, 2013

I am called to live by the same faith that Noah sailed by

I spent part of my morning listening to Jim Brinkerhoff's final sermon at the Auburn Church of Christ from Nov. 10th. Jim passed away last week and I attended a service celebrating his life Sunday.

I got a lot out of the lesson just from the sermon itself, but also from reflecting on his style of preaching and all the lessons I have heard from Jim over the years. His level of preparation is inspiring and his intellect makes me want to study harder. Jim taught me what a man of God should look like, because he spent his entire ministry pointing to God.

In this final sermon he is discussing the flood.  There were a couple of points that stood out. The first is the title of this post, "I am called to live by the same faith that Noah sailed by."


He goes on to remind us of God's gracious offer before the flood. And that at some point God's gracious offer ends. The same is true for us in God's final judgement when Christ returns. Check out the words of Jesus in Matthew 24:
37 For as were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 38 For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, 39 and they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.
Jim says, "Do not let business as usual cause you to forget... How are you responding to the patience of God?"

No comments:

Post a Comment