Saturday, June 13, 2015

The next step in God's plan...

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. " - Proverbs 3:5-6
Do you ever wrestle with knowing God's plan for your life?  As a teen, I remember praying for understanding of how God wants to use me. In college, my prayers as I sat around with a group of guys in prayer group were for what career path I should choose and asking Him to direct my future. Now, 32 years in to this thing we call life, I have learned (and continue to learn) that understanding God's plan is a lifelong pursuit.

Anchoring a sports segment for Eagle Eye News at Auburn, 2004

If you asked me 10 years ago (or even 3 years ago for that matter) where I would be today, I think my answer would not have looked anything like where I am. I had dreams of making it big in TV news, living in a big city and maybe finding my way to Bristol, CT to sit on the set of ESPN on a nightly basis. I guess God had different plans.

It was nearly two years ago I stepped out on faith from behind the anchor desk to share the good news of Jesus Christ full-time. I have not regretted that decision, even for a second. In September of 2013, I became the youth minister at Monrovia Church of Christ (I wrote about that here). In the time since, I have learned a lot about ministry and people. I am very grateful for what has become my family at Monrovia.
 
 Price is Right Night in the loft with the Monrovia Youth Group, 2013

Beginning in July, I will be the pulpit minister at the Winchester Road East Church of Christ in Huntsville. It is a familiar place with a lot of special people to which I am already close. I grew up at Winchester Road. It is a step in faith, as the congregation has never had a full-time minister. I trust in God to do a mighty work, not in me, but in that community as we seek to glorify Him every step of the way.

It is bittersweet. I have many brothers and sisters at Monrovia that I will miss very much. But, I believe the Lord is leading me to the pulpit. I had no plans to leave Monrovia. I guess God had different plans.

To my Monrovia family, I have watched our teens grow and develop into leaders. I have wept with you as we have buried some of our own. I have experienced joy in seeing some of our young people call on Jesus as their Lord and Savior. I have been encouraged by your words of praise. I have grown spiritually along with you as we pursued Jesus together. I have served beside you in the Closet. I will never forget your kindness and love. I leave you with the following from Jude:
20 But you, beloved, building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, 21 keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life. 22 And have mercy on those who doubt; 23 save others by snatching them out of the fire; to others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh.

24 Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, 25 to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.        

No comments:

Post a Comment